Whether you’re working, or you are an avid gamer, you probably hate that irritating clicking sound. Not only does that sound distract you, but it also distracts others around you. So, how about change that and finally give yourself (and others) that piece of mind you’ve always dreamed of?Here you’ll find all that you need to know in order to buy the best noiseless mouse for you. In addition, we’ve listed five top noiseless mice for gaming and working, so you can easily choose the one that best suits your needs.
TOP FIVE SILENT MICE FOR GAMING & WORKING
- Easy to use
- All buttons are quiet
- Faster transmission speed
- Poor battery
- You can’t turn off the light
- Highly responsive
- Works on various surfaces
- Easy to set up
- True silent
- Only 3 buttons
- Long lasting battery
- Good for the money
- Not durable as expected
- The scroll wheel is not as silent as with other models on our list
- The buttons are silent
- Accurate and fast tracking
- Good for first person shooter games
- Not suitable for left-handed users
- Short cord
- Middle button is awkward
- The wheel scroll isn’t quiet
- Good choice for work
- Auto sleep function
- Easy to use
- Not for left-handed users
- Not for gamer
The truth about silent mice
But, before we move on to our little buying guide, we would like to say a thing or two about silent mice and their technology.
Not only these models are made because people get easily distracted by clicking sound, they are also made for those people who suffer from misophonia. According to Wikipedia, “that’s a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.” Although this condition isn’t widely accepted, in fact, some experts don’t consider it real, there has been a number of studies to try describe this condition and its symptoms.
In 2013, Arjan Schroder conducted a study on misophonia, identifying the most common triggers as eating sounds, breathing sounds, sneezing, hand sounds (pen clicking and typing).
That being said, many manufacturers such as Logitech, Nexus, etc. began to understand the importance of clicking sounds and how these sounds distract gamers and workaholics from achieving their goals. That’s why they developed noiseless mice.
But, how did they do that?
Manufacturers identified the sources of mouse sounds (the feet, the switches, and the wheel module) and after that; they used the best material and technological advancements to turn classic mice into silent ones. As a result, noiseless mice are designed in such a way that they reduce noise by more than 90%. Most of the silent mice utilize one of the following concepts:
- Scrolling – Instead of using an optical module, silent mice utilize a mechanical encoder to help reduce sound.
- Switches – If you use a computer mouse, you know that each time you press a button, you’ll hear a clicking sound. But, with a silent mouse, you won’t hear it, or you’ll barely hear it (depends on a model and manufacturer). This is because the switches are made with a rubber initiator that will damp vibrations and sound.
- Gliding Feet – As you glide the mouse on the desk, you’ll notice it produces sound. That’s because companies use polytetrafluoroethylene or unsaturated polyester for the gliding feet. However, when it comes to noiseless models, you won’t notice that sound, because their gliding feet is made of plastic lumber material, which is considered more durable and quieter.
- Echo chamber – since most mice have empty chamber under the key plate, the noise that we create when we use buttons and scroll wheels is enhanced. Therefore, inner walls of a silent mouse feature added plastic ribs, to reduce noise and echo.
Things to consider before buying a noiseless clicking sound mouse
Now that you understand why the silent mouse is silent, we bring you this little guide. Let’s see what are the things you need to consider before buying a good silent mouse for you and your hand.
- Purpose – Obviously, the first thing you need to consider before buying a silent mouse is for what are you going to use it? Do you need a mouse to game all day, or you need the one for working? If you’re going to use a mouse just for working, you don’t have to buy the one with a higher DPI (dots per inch), because you won’t have the control over the movement of the mouse. Meaning, even if you move the mouse just a bit, it will still fly across the screen and that will only make your work harder. On the other hand, if you need a mouse for gaming, the mouse with high DPI (above 1600) would be a good choice, especially if you want to aim at small targets.
- Surface – Another thing you should consider is whether the mouse will work on different surfaces. You surely don’t want to spend a lot of money on the mouse only to find out that it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do. Therefore, make sure to find the mouse that will be suitable for whatever surface you want to use it on.
- Buttons – Although most mice come with two buttons, those that are designed for gaming offer quite a number of buttons (plus, they are customizable). You can use the buttons to delete, copy/paste, and complete some tasks that you do regularly. Moreover, you can use the buttons to save your settings and make your gaming a whole lot easier.
- Comfort – Working or gaming for a whole day means that you need to have a comfortable mouse. A mouse that has an ergonomic design will help with reducing stress on a hand and wrist, as your hand will be in a more natural position.
- Left or Right Handed – Another thing that contributes to finding a comfortable mouse is what type of mouse you need to have. Are you left or right handed? Or perhaps you are ambidextrous? Although there aren’t many models on the market for left-handed, you could still find what you need, and it’s certainly worth the money. Of course, if you’re right handed, no need to worry about finding the perfect match.
- What is Polling Rate – Polling rate refers to how often your computer checks for a signal from your mouse. It’s measured in Hertz. A great number of gaming mice have a polling rate of 500 Hz or 1000 Hz. Although a higher polling rate means that the interval between moving your mouse and showing the movement up on the screen is reduced, it also means that the polling rate uses more CPU resources. Having said this, you don’t have to look for a mouse that has a higher polling rate, because it’s not that important.
- Acceleration – Many gaming mice come with an acceleration feature. This means, if you move your mouse faster, it will also move the cursor faster. Some gamers appreciate this feature while others don’t, so it’s up to you to decide.
- What about DPI? – Dots per inch or DPI refer to the sensitivity of the mouse. In other words, if your mouse has high DPI, the cursor on the screen will move further, when moving the mouse. This type of mouse is especially handy if your monitor has a high-resolution because you won’t have to drag the mouse across the entire desk. As we already mentioned, you don’t’ need a mouse with high DPI for your work but if you play games and need smooth and small movements, you should go with a high DPI model.
This mouse is a good choice if you’re working or gaming late at night and don’t want to disturb your partner or your roommate. Whether you’re using DPI button, or rotate the middle button, you won’t hear a thing.
Thanks to an advanced 2.4GHz wireless technology, the mouse provides a better transmission speed and improved working distance (up to 10m). Three Dpi levels might greatly contribute to your gaming, as you would have the possibility to choose appropriate cursor speed. Moreover, shortcut keys design makes sure that you have the complete control over your game because it performs the operations quickly. Although there are three types of power saving mode that are supposed to prolong the battery life, the battery life still is not as good as expected.
As far as the design is concerned, this mouse is very comfortable, so you could use it for many hours. Also, the mouse has four led lights (blue, green, red and purple) which make gaming/working colorful and fun.
The SROCKER C10s is compatible with XP, Mac OS X, Vista, Win7, Win8, and Win10.
Logitech M330 Silent Plus Wireless Large Mouse
This mouse is precise, fast, easy to set up, and is energy efficient. Moreover, it offers a good button scrolling and pressing experience, because it’s completely silent.
Because of Logitech Advanced Optical Tracking, the mouse is highly responsive and precise. Meaning, it’s a good choice for any gamer, as it allows for smooth and quick moves. Also, you can use it on almost any kind of surface, which is great if you often carry the mouse with you. That being said, you’ll appreciate that this mouse is easy to set up. You don’t have to deal with installing software. In addition, the mouse will automatically connect to your computer.
As we mentioned, the mouse is energy efficient, since it comes with On/Off switch and has an auto sleep option. This means that the battery should last longer, so you won’t have to change it often. You can choose between gray and black so that you can game in style.
ShhhMouse Wireless Silent Mouse
Specifically designed to provide a silent gaming/working experience, this model reduces the noise by 90%. Although the buttons are silent, the scroll wheel is a bit louder than it should be.
The mouse is lightweight, which is great when you use it for many hours. What sets it apart from other models on our list is a long-lasting battery. When not in use, the mouse will automatically turn off, which certainly helps save the battery life.Moreover, the mouse provides smooth movements, on various surfaces, and you won’t even need to use a mouse pad.
All in all, this model is a good value for the money, but don’t expect it to last for years.
Noiseless USB Optical Gaming Computer Wheel Mouse 1600 DPI Super Quiet JNL-101K
If you’re looking to buy a mouse that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, but still performs well, this one might be a good choice for you.
Since the JNL-101K is a relatively quiet mouse, you would be able to fully concentrate on your game, without being distracted by a clicking sound. Moreover, DPI is 1600, which makes this mouse good for first person shooter games, as it provides accurate and fast tracking. However, the middle button is somewhat awkward to use, and it takes some time to get used to that. Also, the wheel scroll isn’t silent.
What also contributes to a better gaming experience is a comfort. This mouse is click this link comfortable and fits well so that you could game for an extended period of time.
Since this model isn’t wireless, it ensures a better connection, plus you won’t have to worry about the battery life. On the other hand, a slight concern is a cord that is short, so you won’t have much freedom when it comes to movements.
Nexus Wireless Silent Mouse SM-9000B
If you want to buy a reliable and comfortable mouse, so that you can work with ease and in silence, the Nexus SM-9000B could be a good choice for you.
The Nexus SM-9000B features an advanced 2.4 GHz wireless technology, so it provides a good connection, up to 10 meters. You don’t have to worry about the signal cutting off since the connection is reliable.
This model is quiet and comfortable thus is a good choice for working at the office. However, if you are a left-handed user, you will probably find this model uncomfortable, as it is designed for right-handed customers.
Thanks to an auto-sleep function, you don’t have to worry whether you turned off the mouse. Additionally, this function contributes to a longer battery life.